Kolkata Knight Riders beat Kings XI Punjab in match number 44 of the Indian Premier League 2018 in Indore to move back to the top four position in the Indian Premier League 2018 table. Onus to the KKR batsmen after they hit 245/6 and beat the host by 31 runs in the end in a gruelling encounter. KKR outwit KXIP after record total.
Sunil Narine was the star of the show with a 36-ball 75 to lend KKR the platform they wanted after a dismal batting performance against Mumbai Indians at the Eden Gardens in the previous match. In pursuit of 246 runs, Lokesh Rahul hit a stunning 66, but that wasn’t enough to get them past the line as KKR went on to defend their target after a run-riot where their batsmen stood tall.
In reply, the hosts managed 214/8 in 20 overs with Andre Russell being top of the bowlers with figures of 3/41.
KKR have 12 points from 12 matches and stay at No.5 in IPL standing behind KXIP due to low net run-rate.
Here is the match in numbers.
- This (245/6) was KKR’s highest total in the IPL history.
- Their highest earlier was 222 for three against the Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2008.
- This was also the highest total made against Kings XI Punjab, which surpassed 240/5 made by the Chennai Super Kings at Mohali in 2008.
- KKR reached the 200-run-mark in just 16.3 overs, making it the third-fastest effort in IPL.
- A total of 459 runs were scored in the match, which in turn is the second highest in an IPL match.
- The highest runs recorded in an IPL match is between CSK and Rajasthan Royals (469) achieved in 2010.
- 67 boundaries were hit in the game in the form of fours and sixes (36 fours and 31 sixes).
- This is the second most in an IPL match. The highest is 69 between CSK and RR in 2010.
- KKR recorded the highest IPL strike-rate by six number of batsmen, whose strike-rate was more than 200+.
- The previous record was five for the Mumbai Indians against RR at the Wankhede in 2014.
- Sunil Narine was plundered for four sixes for the first time in an IPL match. All four sixes were hit by KL Rahul.
KL Rahul fights a lone battle
The in-form opening batsman took against the KKR bowlers with a lot of gusto and aggression after smashing 66 runs and taking his score to 537 runs in 11 innings for KXIP. This was Rahul’s fifth century of IPL 2018. He got the runs in just 29 deliveries and stitched yet another 57-run stand with Chris Gayle (21).
Rahul showcased his brilliance with a range of shots all across the ground with some delicious looking clean shots at offer especially in the manner in which he handled Narine. Once he was dismissed against Narine, the KXIP batsmen lost the plot as KKR picked wickets at regular intervals. Rahul is now the second batsman after Orange Cap holder Rishabh Pant to score 500+ runs in IPL 2018.
West Indies magic rules Indore
It was a day when West Indies stalwarts shined in the game as they played well and changed the direction of the game. Sunil Narine was the main instrument for KKR after hitting 75 off 36 balls at a massive strike rate of 208. The KKR leading spinner hit 4 sixes and 9 fours. Narine’s innings took him to 277 runs in IPL 2018. What was most defining moment was the wicket of KL Rahul, who got castled after trying to hit a reverse-sweep.
Besides Narine, Andre Russell too played splendidly. He hit a 14-ball 31 at the start of the innings. It was his three wickets that did the damage for the Toffees. He got Chris Gayle and the Indian duo of Mayank Agarwal and Karun Nair. Meanwhile, Windies all-rounder Javon Searles t0o showed his caliber.
Karthik adds another misery on Royals
It was the KKR skipper’s first half-century in IPL 2018. He is already the highest record-scorer for KKR this season with 371 runs in 13 matches. What was striking for DK was the partnership he shared with the rest go the bowlers. He shared a 71-run stand with Kuldeep Yadav (1/29 in two overs itself. This was KKR’s best win in this riot as they targeting a different situation.
This was his maiden half-century in the 11th edition of the league.
A complete show
- Out of 22 matches, the sides have played against each other in IPL, KKR has won 14 games against KXIP’s.
- In the previous meeting in IPL 2018, KXIP walked away with two points in a rain-affected game in Kolkata.
- This is the first time these two sides will play in Indore.
- KKR have a 7-5 advantage away from home against KXIP.